While the cowboy hat is one of the most popular accessories of western clothing, there’s more to just walking around wearing one on your head. The first and perhaps the most important rule is that you should never mess with a cowboy’s hat. You don’t share a cowboy hat around as it’s too personal and often quite costly. Touching a man’s hat without permission can land you in trouble in some parts of the country. So, the best thing you can do is to leave it alone.
- You should take your hat off anytime you enter a building.
- You must keep your hat on your head if you are attending a formal event. And if it’s an informal one, you can take it off if you please.
- When you sit down at a table to have a meal, the best thing for you to do would be to find a suitable place to keep the hat as you enjoy your meal. If you cannot find the right spot to place it, it’s better to rest it on your head.
- And if it’s a counter you have chosen to have your food, the hat can stay on.
- If you are out on the range, it’s good to have the hat on your head at all times. Else, it might get dirty and lose charm soon.
Presently there appear to be two ways of thinking on taking care of caps. One school says when placing on or eliminating your cap, hold the edge close to the crown toward the front and the back. Another school says to never deal with by the edge, to in every case gently handle the crown. Basically it comes down to this: Any taking care of which causes flexing or twisting of the edge or crown will bit by bit debilitate the body of your cap. The more serious the flex or twist, the sooner the cap will lose its innate capacity to keep up with its shape. By and by, I typically handle my caps by the crown yet delicately. I never handle them by the edge but to change them on my head, since this is an all the more handily disturbed construction.
Hat materials and what they are best suited for
Originally, felt hats were designed for use in the winter (to guard against dampness and cold), whereas straw hats were intended for use in the summer (to protect against sun and heat). That makes enough sense. As per an arbitrary cultural guideline, people prefer to wear felt hats between Labor Day and the May long weekend, while straw is worn in between. But the fact is the weather condition decides the material of the hat you want to wear. If it’s too hot, a straw hat is preferred over a black one. If it’s a cool night, straw could be too cold for your head. A felt might be a better option. On the other hand, if it’s a formal occasion, it is expected of you not to wear a straw. Allow your common sense to decide for you.
Taking off and putting on a cowboy hat
There appear to be two schools of thought on the mannerisms of handling western hats. One sect believes that one must hold the brim nearer to the crown in the front and rear while putting on or taking off the hat. Another school of thought states that the crown should be always softly grasped rather than the brim. But have you ever thought about why such thoughts came into being? The bottom line is any handling that causes bending or flexing of the brim or crown, will eventually damage the shape of your hat. The more extreme the flex or bend is, the faster it will lose its ability to retain its shape. Most people are seen to be handling their western hats by their crowns and only use the brim to adjust them on their heads.
Cowboy hat etiquettes while wearing
Remember the accompanying while at the same time wearing your cap during open air exercises.
- Take your cap off when you enter a structure, particularly on the off chance that you are there for true work.
- Indeed, even with casual events, you want to think about the vibe and temperament of the occasion prior to keeping your cap on.
- Take your cap off during lunch, supper, or supper time; nonetheless, you can generally keep the cap on your head assuming you are at a counter.
When to remove your cowboy hat
There are some occasions when you must remove your hat.
- When the national anthem is sung or played
- During the pledge of allegiance
- When you enter a church
- During the passing of the flag
- While praying
- While attending an indoor wedding
- While attending a funeral
- Assuming you want to change your cap, do as such by the crown.
- Never lay a Texas style cap down on the edge. Put your cap on its crown, overflow up. You may likewise utilize a cap stand or rack.
- Never show within of your cap. The cap band, and within the crown ought not be in or for general visibility.
- Your cap ought to be eliminated 100% of the time while feasting in a café. *Unless, you’re in drive-thru eatery.
You can carry the hat with your left hand and place the right hand on your heart. Or, you can hold the hat in your right hand and rest the hand holding the hat over your heart. Both are acceptable.
Other situations that demand you to take off the hat are –
- When a woman is introduced to you (Hold it with your left hand so that you can use your right hand to perform a handshake)
- When you meet someone elder to you or the person happens to be a pastor, clergy, or priest.
- While attending a gathering in a private home (unless you find the others wearing their hats too)
- If you begin a conversation with someone (not just to say a “hi” or a “hello”)
Wear the right cowboy hat for the right season
In addition to the fact that it is unreasonable to wear a felt cap in summer, it’ll make you look somewhat senseless, as well. Felt caps will leave your head all worked up, and recognizing a felt cap in July is a simple method for isolating the vacationers from the genuine cowpokes. Stick to straw caps once the climate warms up, and felt caps when it chills.
Buy the right cowboy hat size.
Nothin’ looks more entertaining than a fella in a cap that is some unacceptable size for him. Too enormous, and it’s at risk to brush off in a light breeze. Excessively little, and you’ll look got into the crown (and you’ll be awkward for sure). For direction observing the right size rancher cap, you can allude to our cap estimating graph.
Take your cowboy hat off when you’re indoors.
One more key to being a legitimate cattle rustler is to eliminate your cap when you head inside. Lifts, entryways, and building hallways are a special case for this standard, however when you’re in a room with different people you should eliminate your cap, particularly on the off chance that there’s a woman present.
Some other things to keep in mind
- Use the crown to remove the hat.
- To adjust the hat, do so by holding the crown.
- Avoid laying your cowboy hat on its brim. Rather, place it on its crown with the brim up.
- Unless you are having a meal at a fast-food joint, remove your hat while having food at any restaurant.
- Choose the right type of hat to wear for the right season.
- Opt for the appropriate hat size. A too big or too small hat may look funny on your head and may cause discomfort for you.
- A rule of the thumb – never to mess with anyone’s cowboy hat.
Figuring out how to hold the cap the correct way
Here is something you really want to remember while holding your Texas style cap. You want to ensure that you handle it with the crown-production sure that the coating doesn’t show. Continuously practice alert; put your cap topsy turvy on a level surface, or put it in the hatbox. An old cattle rustler odd notion says your karma may run out on the off chance that you set your cap with the edge side down. Regardless of whether you’re not odd, recollect that putting your cap topsy turvy will just keep up with your beloved frill’s shape and design.Here is something you really want to remember while holding your Texas style cap. You want to ensure that you handle it with the crown-production sure that the coating doesn’t show. Continuously practice alert; put your cap topsy turvy on a level surface, or put it in the hatbox. An old cattle rustler odd notion says your karma may run out on the off chance that you set your cap with the edge side down. Regardless of whether you’re not odd, recollect that putting your cap topsy turvy will just keep up with your beloved frill’s shape and design.
Keep everything registered in your head before you finally decide to wear a western hat outdoors. Else, you might appear silly to the others.